True Stories

Random memories mesh together to create a character. This one happens to be real; a 26-year-old Israeli boy studying film in NYC. (As with anything, it's best to start at the beginning. Go to the archives...) Copyright 2006

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

A true first kiss story

My first kiss took place in a dream; sad, funny and chilling. It was with a girl I knew. She was slightly different but still herself, still recognizable to that alert part of me that was aware I was dreaming and yet continued to relish every moment of it. We were in a shopping mall, a sparkling white marble mall of spoiled richness full of strolling couples holding hands. We were headed towards the underground parking lot, I’d no idea why since I was not yet of driving age.

We walked down a wide unpainted staircase and stopped at a huge metal door with the words “Minus One” painted on it. She turned to me and said “Now I am going to place my finger on your nose.” She pushed my nose gently, and my heart started to beat rapidly.
“Now I’m going to touch your cheeks.” She said. She placed her warm hands on my cheeks.
“Now we’re going to kiss.” She pressed her face to mine. Something clumsy and embarrassing happened then but I was not embarrassed, I trusted her.
“First kiss?” She smiled. “Let’s try it again on the next floor.”
She took my hand and led me down another flight of stairs. The second door was open to the grey cement of the parking lot. We kissed again. It felt better.

As dreams often unravel, I walked through the door and found myself alone in my back yard at night. Tables and chairs were set out in my family’s familiar cookout party-arrangement. My bearded friend Gil stood above the barbecue and waved a piece of cardboard over the small dead bodies of four white rabbits. I walked up to him and said “I just kissed the girl.”
“Really?” He said absentmindedly.
“Yeah.” I said. “You know, it was kind of…” and a pleasant smile came upon my lips as I recalled the moment.
“Yeah, I know exactly what it was like.” He said. “I know exactly what you did.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home