True Stories

Random memories mesh together to create a character. This one happens to be real; a 26-year-old Israeli boy studying film in NYC. (As with anything, it's best to start at the beginning. Go to the archives...) Copyright 2006

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

A true story

As an Israeli living in New York, I’d heard my name mispronounced in a variety of ways. One college Spanish teacher would mispronounce my name "urine", no matter how many times I’d corrected her. My name, incidentally, is not pronounced "urine". Ironically enough, though, my dad is a urologist.

Other than calling me urine, my Spanish teacher tended to go off on little tangents. When she taught us how to speak about our favorite actor or musician, she went off on a tangent about how her favorite Latin singer had recently given an interview in which he’d admitted to being into S&M and golden showers.

She’d expected to get a laugh, but no one other than me was laughing. I had to laugh; I mean it's not every day your teacher talks about golden showers. She looked at all the blank faces and said: "What, no one here knows what golden showers are?" She saw me laughing and said "Well, urine does."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home