True Stories

Random memories mesh together to create a character. This one happens to be real; a 26-year-old Israeli boy studying film in NYC. (As with anything, it's best to start at the beginning. Go to the archives...) Copyright 2006

Friday, May 05, 2006

A truth

The greatest feeling in the world is not love, it's freedom. Freedom is an unrivaled euphoria that washes over the body and eclipses all other sensations, past present and future, as it does so.

On the day I was discharged from the army after serving for three years I walked out of the base, stepped into the car, and suddenly - I was home. I’d forgotten to turn on the CD player, I’d forgotten to open my eyes, I’d even forgotten to drive. It had started to rain on my windsheild. My brain registered the first few drops but none of the others that followed. I suppose I could have killed myself in a car crash that day.

A good friend of mine was traveling through India at the time. When I returned home I found an email from him that began with the words “Hi hi happy boy”. I liked that. “Happy boy.”

Of course, in the subject line of the email he had written “YOU ARE FREE NOW - BUT YOU WILL DIE SOON!” The best of friends can always see right through you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home